Wednesday, June 16, 2010

One infection after another; thank goodness for the animals.

This morning I woke up after a restless night with a swollen throat, pounding head and aching body. Is it sad that I'm used to this? This is my third infection this month, and I'm now on my third course of antibiotics. Apparently my immune system is fine, so I don't know why I always get sick. I never seem to get colds or flues, just infections, especially of the throat.

I am actually quite annoyed that this infection had to appear last night. Today I was going to do an autopsy on a possum. I volunteer at a small wildlife shelter run by pensioners out of their own house, and the owner wanted to give us a little excitement. It would have been very interesting to open up a possum and learn about its insides. You can call me crazy but I was quite looking forward to it. I'm not one for blood and gore, but this would have been a pretty unique experience. Thankfully, there are many animals kept in the freezer so I have not missed out on the opportunity completely. I just have to wait for another quiet week.

I'm loving working with all the different wildlife. I love animals in general. There's just something about them that makes everything so calm. And they don't talk back like humans. They don't expect much from you, and anything you do for them they are grateful for. I have grown up around animals all my life and whenever I would get angry or upset, or just needed to clear my mind, I would go sit out there with them. They have a way of making everything feel okay again. Could it be there unconditional love? or the fact the appreciate the smallest of things? They are just so easy to be around. Animals are to thank for much of my happiness.


These are a few of the many animals we have at the wildlife shelter. Unfortunately I can't show you photos of the actual animals at the shelter due to the fact we aren't allowed to take photos of any of the sick animals, just the healthy ones, and even then we are only to have the photos for our own personal use and are not allowed to publicly display them. However, there are many great photos on the net that I can use and they all look the same anyway, right?

I have so many cool facts and stories about these gorgeous animals that I can share with you, but tonight I am feeling pretty average because of the previously mentioned infection. So I'm going to leave it at that.


Keep safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment